The volume and value of disclosed U.S. Mergers and Acquisitions deals declined compared to Q1 2015, but the number of deals closed marked the third highest Q1 in the last 7 years.
IPO activity also dried up in the first quarter, where only 8 companies raised approximately $700 million in capital, compared to 32 companies raising $6.8 billion in capital during Q4 2015.
Number of Closed U.S. M&A Deals
- Deal volume in the U.S. and Canada was down approximately 22% in Q1 2016 compared to the same period in 2015.
- Deal Value for the quarter was also down approximately 2% compared to Q1 2015.
- The transaction that headlined the quarter was Royal Dutch Shell’s acquisition of BG Group that valued the company at over $54 billion.
- The most active acquirers during the quarter include Audax Group, The Carlyle Group, and KKR, with 15+ acquisitions.
P.E. & V.C. Exits: U.S. & Canada
- The number of investments exited by private equity and venture capital firms in the United States and Canada during the first quarter rose 29% over the same period in 2015.
- Approximately $56 billion in capital was exited during the first quarter, a 23% increase over the pervious period in 2015.
- In addition to exits, 72 North American PE and VC funds closed in Q1. The largest funds raised include Advent International’s $13 billion buyout fund, and BTD Capital Partners’ $6.2 billion buyout fund.
Thank you to MelCap Partners for the summary.
Quote of the Week
Whatever it takes to finish things, finish.
You will learn more from a glorious failure
than you ever will from something you never finished.
~ Neil Gaiman, Writer
A limited number of complimentary RSVP seats remain for the next CFE Event:
Alternative Investing in Early-Stage Growth Companies
The Center for Free Enterprise invites you to learn about the market for Early-Stage Growth deals, business valuation approaches and how to get deals done.
An esteemed panel of professionals will share their insights with you. You will also have the opportunity to meet other investors, business owners and senior managers and professionals who have similar interests to your own.
Join the experts below on Friday, May 20 at the Cleveland Racquet Club.
Check in and breakfast starts at 730a, Panel starts at 750a.
This event is complimentary.
North Coast Angel Fund
Navidar Group & Vistage Worldwide
Friday, May 20
Cleveland Racquet Club
29825 Chagrin Boulevard
Pepper Pike, Ohio
This event is organized by David Brown (Red Hawk Associates) and Ben Calkins (The Calkins Law Firm) of the Center for Free Enterprise.